After reissuing their whole back catalogue earlier this year, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah return with a new album, New Fragility, due for release on January 29, 2021 via CYHSY/Secretly Distribution.
Below, you can listen to two cuts from the forthcoming album, Hesitating Nation and Thousand Oaks.
“These songs are politically motivated, which is unusual for me,” says CYHSY leader, Alec Ounsworth.
“Hesitating Nation is a song meant to convey my sense of disappointment and alienation with the rewarded mentality of getting ahead at all costs, inevitably to the detriment of those who didn’t sign up to be part of the experiment.”
Regarding the second new song, Thousand Oaks, Ounsworth says, “In 2018, there was a shooting in Thousand Oaks, CA which killed 13 people. This song has to do with the impotence of the American government in the face of such tragedies.”
While the world of gigs remains in deep uncertainty, the band have announced a UK/European tour for September 2021, including a date at Liverpool’s District.
Here’s hoping these shows will go ahead towards the latter half of next year.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah 2021 UK tour dates:
- Tuesday, September 21: Thekla, Bristol
- Wednesday, September 22: Portland Arms, Cambridge
- Thursday, September 23, YES (The Pink Room) Manchester
- Friday, September 24, Whelans, Dublin, Ireland
- Saturday, September 25, District Liverpool
- Sunday, September 26: Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
- Tuesday September 28: Scala, London